The New Header

The New Header

Thursday 20 February 2014

Drill Press Proof of Concept


A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I designed and built a drill press that my power drill would attach to.

Well folks, here is the proof of concept video.  It isn't very refined or polished, but it shows that the concept works...generally.

There are some niggly issues that still need to be resolved.

  1. The extension spring that is meant to pull up the drill once released is not heavy enough to pull up the weight of the drill, so I may need to find a heavier weight spring.
  2. With the longer length drill bits, I do not have enough space for anything thicker than 1/2".  I will probably just use a thicker mounting base to give me the height I need.
  3. The speed of drill is very inconsistent with me just holding the trigger.  The speed was just way too out of control.  I may have a solution though.  In the video you can see the small screw-type band clamp hanging off the end of the drill handle.  I used it once, around the trigger and handle and tightened it which pressed in the trigger.  It worked but was a bit clumsy to operate.
  4. The base is too small.  Good thing it's a disposable piece, so I'll use it up, and make a larger one.  For now though, I'll make do.
Now, I just need to make the improvements, and do another test-drive.  

Once I am happy with how it operates, I will disassemble the press, and finish up all the detailing.  I will need to re-sand some edges, rounding off some sharp edges and squaring off some of the notches.  Also, I will be painting the pieces so it has a nice finish.

In my quest to find a job, I'm trying to master Solidworks, so I'll be posting up the full technical package in the case you may want to build one too.  That should be done by the end of next week.

I have quite the list of things I need to make accurate holes into, and disks I need to cut out, so it won't be soon enough once this is drill press is complete.

Anyways, just a short post as I have to take care of our dog Bradley who just came out of bladder surgery yesterday.  I'm running off no sleep right now.

Oh, and this warmer weather is really making me ansy to get prepared for this season of racing.  I have a laundry list in my home of things to do. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment